Provide first aid
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to a casualty. The unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
Specific licensing /regulatory requirements relating to this competency, including requirements for refresher training should be obtained from the relevant national/state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authorities.
Delivery options : Classroom
Duration : 2 Days inclusive of 1 day of summative assessment (practical demonstration in a simulated environment) and 1 day of formative assessment (Self-paced learning).
Skills must be demonstrated working individually in an environment that provides realistic in-depth, industry-validated scenarios and simulations to assess candidates’ skills and knowledge.
Assessment resources must include:
- adult and infant resuscitation manikins in line with ARC Guidelines for the purpose of assessment of CPR procedures
- adrenaline auto-injector training device
- AED training device
- placebo bronchodilator and spacer device
- roller bandages
- triangular bandages
- workplace First Aid kit
- workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form for written reports
- wound dressings
Simulated assessment environments must simulate the real-life working environment where these skills and knowledge would be performed, with all the relevant equipment and resources of that working environment.
The candidate must show evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the job role.
There must be evidence that the candidate has completed the following tasks in line with state/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice, Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines and workplace procedures:
- Followed DRSABCD in line with ARC guidelines, including:
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- responded appropriately in the event of regurgitation or vomiting
- managed the unconscious breathing casualty
- followed single rescue procedure, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions
- followed the prompts of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Responded to at least two simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the candidate’s workplace/community setting, including:
- conducted a visual and verbal assessment of the casualty
- demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
- post-incident debrief and evaluation
- provided an accurate verbal or written report of the incident
- Applied first aid procedures for the following:
- allergic reaction
- bleeding control
- choking and airway obstruction
- envenomation, using pressure immobilisation
- fractures, sprains and strains, using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation techniques
- respiratory distress, including asthma