Provide first aid
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to provide an advanced first aid response, including management of the incident and other first aiders, until the arrival of medical or other assistance.
The unit applies to workers who may be required to provide, coordinate and manage a first aid response across a range of complex situations, including community and workplace settings.
Specific licensing /regulatory requirements relating to this competency, including requirements for refresher training should be obtained from the relevant national/state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authorities.
Delivery options : Classroom
Duration : 3 Days inclusive of 2 days of summative assessment (practical demonstration in a simulated environment) and 1 day of formative assessment (Self-paced learning).
Skills must be demonstrated working individually in an environment that provides realistic in-depth, industry-validated scenarios and simulations to assess candidates’ skills and knowledge.
Assessment resources must include:
- adult and infant resuscitation manikins in line with ARC Guidelines for the purpose of assessment of CPR procedures
- adrenaline auto-injector training device
- AED training device.
- eye patch
- placebo bronchodilator and spacer device
- roller bandages
- triangular bandages
- workplace first Aid kit
- workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form
- wound dressings
The candidate must show evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the job role.
There must be evidence that the candidate has completed the following tasks in line with state/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice, Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines and workplace procedures:
- followed DRSABCD in line with ARC guidelines, including:
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- performed at least 2 minutes of Bag-valve-mask ventilation and at least 2 minutes of compression during a two rescuer procedure on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- responded appropriately in the event of regurgitation or vomiting
- managed the unconscious breathing casualty
- followed the prompts of a Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- followed single rescue procedure, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions
- responded to at least three simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the candidate’s workplace/community setting, including:
- demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
- conducted a visual and verbal secondary survey assessment of the casualty
- assessed vital signs (respirations, pulse and temperature)
- communicated effectively with a first aid team providing direction and coordination of other first aiders
- post-incident debrief and evaluation
- provided an accurate verbal and written report of the incident
- applied first aid procedures for the following:
- allergic reaction
- bleeding control
- choking and airway obstruction
- conducted a basic triage for multiple casualty incident
- envenomation (using pressure immobilisation)
- fractures, sprains and strains (using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation principles)
- head, neck and spinal injuries (using immobilisation principles)
- respiratory distress – including asthma
- seizures – including epilepsy
- located and interpreted workplace policies and procedures